Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Foreword for a Physics Textbook

I've been teaching a gen. ed. physics class (i.e. physics for poets) for the past few semesters and have often thought about writing my own textbook for the class. Of course, those thoughts quickly disappear as I think about the incredible amount of work that would entail. If, however, I should one day find myself with the time to pursue such an undertaking, I do know what I'd want the foreword to say.


Foreword

If you have told friends and family that you are taking a course in college physics, you have probably heard one of the following: "That sounds hard," "Physics was the only class I ever failed," "I avoided physics when I was in college," or simply "I hated physics!" Physics has developed a daunting reputation as a subject that all but a few super-geniuses will find impossible to comprehend. It is our hope that by the end of this course you will have discovered that the subject is not only less intimidating than popularly believed, but that it can actually be quite enjoyable.


For many students the greatest obstacle to learning physics is simply the fear with which they approach the subject. Did you know that in 2009 nearly twice as many people died in automobile accidents as from solving physics problems? And yet, people still hop into their cars and drive across town without a second thought of the danger. Why? Because we cannot let fear paralyze us and keep us from living our lives. Fear is a dark agent of destruction that seeps into the consciousness of a society and strangles away its life. Fear is a demon of despair that keeps a people from achieving all that they long to achieve. Fear is a devourer of souls that robs an individual of his very essence. If you succumb to your fear of physics, then fear itself has won. The many accomplishments of human civilization, the future of mankind, and even your very soul hang in the balance. As you journey the road to knowledge, will you allow fear to ensnare you, destroying everything of worth in this life, or will you throw off the shackles of societal stereotypes and boldly plunge into the world of physics? The decision is yours.


It is often useful to skim each section before the corresponding lecture, and then reread it more carefully once you have seen the material in class. Several examples are worked out in detail in each section, which should serve as a guide to the questions at the ends of the chapters. As with any other skill, you only get better by practicing, so be sure to work out all the assigned homework problems. If you follow this simple advice, and devote adequate time to studying, we are confident that you will soon become a successful physics student!

1 comment:

  1. You've convinced me. I will face my fear! Let all who are within the sound of my voice know that this day, I will not back down! This day, the dark agent shall not claim another victim! This day, I will not let the demon of despair that is fear of physics destroy me, my family, and my entire civilization! This day, I embrace the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th law of thermodynamics, though it is yet to be discovered! Who is with me!

    ReplyDelete